Contrary to what has been said, the 21 Chibok schoolgirls freed by Boko Haram militants last month say they were not abused or raped during the two-and-a-half years of captivity in northeast Nigeria, Reuters quoted a source close to the presidency as saying on Wednesday.
Reports from human rights group, including Amnesty International had claimed that quite a number of the girls kidnapped by the Islamist militant group were used as sex slaves, fighters and even suicide bombers.
However, Reuters said a confidential report based on their two-week debriefing prepared for President Muhammadu Buhari indicated that the schoolgirls were treated well by the militants of the Islamic death cult.
The girls, who were released last month, are now being held in a secret location in Abuja where they have been undergoing psychological assessment and rehabilitation.
In the report, it was gathered that State health workers also confirmed that the girls were not sexually abused while in captivity, as they all tested negative for sexually transmitted diseases.
The 21 recently released girls said that while the Boko Haram militants advised them to marry and convert to Islam, they were not forced into doing so, according to the report.
When shown pictures of 142 of their still missing classmates, the girls said 61 had married Boko Haram militants, eight had died during Nigerian air force strikes, three during childbirth, and one of an unknown cause, the report found.